Originally Posted By: Dignan
Quote:
Have you looked carefully at the package of detergent to see if its chemistry has changed since previous packages you may have bought? Phosphate versus phosphate free for instance?
That's another thing someone mentioned in my searches. I'm not sure how I'd tell if there were a difference. I'll check if it specifically says "phosphate-free." Someone mentioned that certain areas have insisted on selling phosphate-free detergent.

Washinton State, at least, and Oregon is following. It's caused a number of people to hop over into Utah just to buy dishwasher detergent, because the lack of phosphate in the detergent reduces the effectiveness, leaving your dishes less than spotless (though not so bad as in your picture, I think). But it's more environmentally friendly. Phosphate-free dishwasher detergent will eventually be mandatory nation-wide, just as phosphate-free laundry detergent is, now.

One thing I haven't seen asked is what you're cooking in those dishes? I found that I sometimes have to pre-wash dishes that had cornstarch in them.