Originally Posted By: hybrid8
The report from the municipality will let you know the hardness or the water can be tested from the tap.

I'm not sure how I'd get something like that...

I ran a cycle with vinegar, so I'll see how things come out on the next load. I don't expect that to have worked though.

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I would just fill the detergent container with Cascade powder, make sure there was still Jet Dry in dispenser, and everything would come out just fine.
Are you still using the Cascade powder?

I learned a $65 lesson about dishwashing detergent when my dishwasher in Alaska was performing poorly. Dishes literally came out looking worse than when they went in. I cleaned it, checked the filters, everything seemed fine as far as I could tell, so I called the repairman. He checked it over, could find nothing wrong until he looked under my sink. "Is this the detergent you're using?", he asked. It was some generic store-brand liquid, inexpensive. "Try Cascade powder" he said.

Like I said, I've never used anything BUT Cascade powder and Jet Dry.

My day-to-day has not changed at all. The dishes I put in have not changed at all, and my problem isn't with the plates and bowls at all. They still come out spotless, as far as I can tell. It's ONLY with plastic and sometimes with metal.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
You should probably start taking things apart. Grab the manual.

Ha! I looked at the manual, and it has only the most basic information on it. It pretty much just describes the different cycles and that's it.