They're kicking up a shitstorm now. Just wait until many of the other services have weighed in. Do you think Pandora is going to want to give up 30% of its revenue?

Apple are bloody ludicrous and completely out to lunch.

This new rule is the equivalent of Radio Shack charging XM Radio a 30% cut on all their subscriptions for people who bought a radio in the store.

Never mind that many of the subscriptions which are used with iOS apps are also used elsewhere. Often the iOS app is a freebie and simply a bonus to a service that's primarily geared for consumption elsewhere.

I don't think a percentage of any amount is right for subscriptions. That is to say, sure, if someone wants to offer an in-app subscription, then Apple can take a cut for processing the transaction through iTunes. BUT, developers should be allowed to implement other subscription models without also having to include Apple's. And without having to include Apple's at the same or lower price.

I really want to see this make it to court in an anti-trust case. As much as I'm a fan of Apple's products, it's dick moves like this that make me really despise them at the same time.

It would even be fair if they took a one-time $2 minimum cut per subscriber, or simply 30% of the sale price of the app if it's a commercial app.

I don't currently subscribe to anything and I don't currently have any plans (even far out ones) to offer any subscription products, but this really does make me sick to my stomach. What's next, will they take a 30% cut of sales of other hardware you may release that also works with your iOS app? Will they take a 30% cut from Ford or Honda's car sales?

It's always been a slippery slope and today a lot of footing has been lost.

Edited by hybrid8 (15/02/2011 22:31)