Originally Posted By: Cris
No I mean the shop front for the app store in the first place. As far as I can tell the publisher is allowed to go make their own handsets, design their own app store and start up their own distribution if they want. Like Amazon are trying. They don't have to use Apple's app store at all if they don't want.

I agree with this part, and it's why I questioned the anti-trust aspect earlier. There are plenty of alternate routes, including many that don't require publishers to create their own entire pipeline.

My problem with the situation is I am on the side that Apple is going too far. Not because it impacts the subscribers negatively, but because I see it impacting users, by creating a situation where less content will make it to the iPad. Apple generally does right by the users, even if it irritates developers (like Bruno) or others. In the past though, I've seen the moves as reasonable for the benefits they bring and the costs appropriate.

Google announced a similar option for Android, with the split being 90/10. That percentage I would find much more agreeable, enough where the 10% seems right for the benefits, and not high enough to scare too much potential content away. At this point, Google has to be in the position to look more competitive, and they are doing so.

While I don't really have an opinion on this other story about taxes on overseas revenue, I did find someones comment amusing. Apple and others are trying to lobby to drop the tax rate from 35% to 5%, a drop of 30%, the same amount in dispute here.