Originally Posted By: Dignan

Still, I think there's a public perception issue if big companies start exiting the platform (if it came to that, not that it will).

Don't get me wrong, I hope it happens. I want to see a stink about this, and so far, it's been really quiet apart from that note from Rhapsody. I'm frankly surprised as hell this isn't getting more coverage.

There's plenty of opportunity for Apple to keep making money hand over fist and rule the kingdom without trying to rape other companies. Leave the pillaging for when they sack the competition's market share.

I'm just being real with regards to the Amazon situation. Apple doesn't make any money from hosting their Kindle app. And I can't honestly believe that anyone bought an iPad or any iDevice (primarily) because the Kindle app was available.

When will Apple start taking 30% from online bill payments you process through your banks iOS app? Or mortgage payments? Need to transfer money into that 401K? Oh, Apple needs a slice of that too.

I think I feel more insulted and upset about this as a consumer rather than as a developer. I really like Apple products, and I've admired the company for what they've been able to accomplish. But I don't actively like the company. I don't want to see them fail, because I want the great software and products to keep coming, but I do want them to face reality check and get their hands out of everyone's pockets.

Anyway, anyone else think that we're likely getting really close to iTunes music subscriptions? That huge datacenter Apple has built needs to move data for something.

Edited by hybrid8 (17/02/2011 03:31)