Originally Posted By: Robotic
Originally Posted By: Dignan
So not only was the Segway $3500 to begin with (we got a discount, I think), they expect that every four years or so, you need to spend another $1800 to keep it going? I started to become much less of a supporter of Segway.

Are you also any less a supporter of hybrid cars? Electric cars (such as the Tesla)?

Not at all. But it's something they should have told us upfront. You would think that if your customer, who is purchasing a very expensive product from you, could kill that product so easily, they should really drill that idea in your head. Apparently Segway assumes that if you can afford the initial investment, you
can afford to spend almost two grand every four years.

What also concerns me is that the person I spoke to said that the batteries would have been performing poorly at this point anyway. I'm skeptical of this. There was a story recently about a test done on a Prius which found that after 10 years, its batteries were operating at something like 95%. But a Segway's battery goes below 50% after four?

Quote:
This isn't Segway's "fault" (except the price) and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone... at least, anyone who's owned a battery-operated appliance in the last few years. No reason to become inDIGNANt! (har!)

Yes, har smile And I'm an enormous supporter of green technology. However, I do not consider Segways to be a green solution. I think they have their uses, but they're too expensive and there's no infrastructure to support their use for commuting (most bike paths around here wouldn't support a Segway very well).

I'm wondering if there's anything in place to keep this from happening to a Prius, or if it's just more likely that you're going to drive one enough to keep those batteries working.

Quote:
It's very nice to hear that your father's life was enhanced by the Segway. That's a very charming story and I'm sure the original cost was more than offset by his increased mobility. Belated condolences.

Thanks, and it did help him out tremendously. Instead of him wheeling around in a chair feeling like everyone was sorry for him, he became a great center of attention and he loved it.