Quote:
But this doesn't feel accurate:

Sorry I was telling the truth. You have to understand that I started coding on CP/M on Z80 using assembler moving to C a few years later. Had brief few years with Delphi/Windows before landing back in the world of linux/gcc.

I find it difficult to work out what the proposition is with anything that offers a "framework" or "SDK" as these ideas are pretty alien to me. I am relectant to link against a library if I can avoid it :-)

I write code using vi in xterm so nobody could claim I follow fashion !

Quote:
The project itself:

* Develops the base oper.......
Does that clear it up?

Yes and no .... I still dont quite follow.

The last two embedded devices I worked on I compiled the kernel and coreutils from scratch - the ones before that I used gerneric Debian. For me personally I tend to code only in plain old C, what I want is linux plus a framebuffer device for whatever display I am using and as little else as possible! This method seems out of favuor, most people seem to want linux to be some kind of base system for a visual studio style front end with a ".NET style bucket of crap all things to all people" runtime ?

Quote:
Develops the base operating system software for use in devices like phones, tablets, TVs

Err ok.

My TV (an LG) runs a generic kernel from flash, busybox and custom control software for the tuner/front end. The job of LG would have been to write the device drivers for whatever platform they had built. How does another layer of software speed this process up ? Do you have a generic hardware platform I can use, if not more sofware just slows me down from my point of view.

I am not being difficult, people who code in say Java and want a generic base O/S then this probably ok - but for me personally who just wants generic kernel with support for custom hardware does yet another distro/toolkit help me, how does it differ from say Debian if I want a repository or busybox if I want a small code footprint.

Quote:
Provides services for developing system and application software that anyone can use

Again, I have no idea what this means in reality.

Dont worry too much that I dont get it - it is not aimied at me I suspect, my phone is a mono Nokia, my TV does not surf the web nor would I want it to :-)
Your pitch sounds like Android without google (not a bad idea) or have I missed the point a bit?

Edited by jonshouse (19/06/2013 22:20)