Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
meh - I've come to the conclusion about things like this that if it's not open source then I'm not interested.

Huh? Jon posted the source on sourceforge. The centro_player*.tar.gz contains the new player code, and 3rd-party libs, cross-compiled. The src_v0.61.tar.gz file contains a drop-in replacement for the player code in the previous tarball, which is at 0.59. It's been available for almost three years, now.

Quote:
Now if Jon had opened it up on github 2 years ago where might we be today?

Probably the same place we are now, since when he first posted, he got very few downloads, and very few people who actually tested it.

Quote:
What's even worse (and I find really annoying) is that his loudly announced progress probably put off other people who may have also begun working on the problem.

That's a pretty big hypothetical. Unless you're talking about yourself, I'm pretty skeptical that anyone was actually working on something similar. There's been talk about writing an open-source player for years and years, and, IIRC, only one other person has actually come through with anything, and it was no-where near as sophisticated as Jon's player. The idea hasn't exactly attracted what few developers remain in our dwindling membership numbers.