Yes, this sounds like an even better idea from many perspectives.

Something more modular, something that would potentially have broader appeal to the general tinkerer community, but conveniently would work well with the default display characteristics needed for the empeg.

I love the idea of two (or three) boards too - more mounting options for those of us so constrained.

How much would be a ballpark figure for seed money to get something like this rolling? I would seriously consider donating $$ to get this project started.

That's if we could come to a "best idea" of how to proceed, and the players PCA, Mark, anyone else needed) would be on board.

I totally agree that having a broader appeal than "just the empeg" would make it potentially more interesting. Having potentially more display size options, and flexible button/control/IR board configurations might also be very appealing. Being able to retrofit into an actual empeg might be nice too, but frankly I think more folks these days would remote mount if they could.

And of course keeping it as simple as possible (without being too simple) would stand a better chance of it actually happening :-)

Being simply a techie/tinkerer/IT geek, I cant really help much other that to offer ideas, input, and possibly seed money. But man, I really would LOVE to see this happen.