So buy one of their laptops that does include the ports you want.

Back when the released the original Air people were mad that it didn't include a DVD drive. Now mass market machines don't ship with DVD drives (see also floppy drives in earlier times).

With the new MacBook they are aiming for where the mass market will be in 3-4 years, just as they did with the Air back in 2008. It is aimed at people who already don't need USB drives and external monitors on a regular basis (or indeed never need them). There are plenty of people out there who already want the lightest laptop they can have and don't need USB ports and external monitors (I'm not one of them).

At some point I'm sure they will phase out the Air and if you want a light laptop you'll have to accept the compromises of this one's replacement (though by then I'll bet they've added another USB C port and much faster CPUs). But that is likely 4+ years away, they'll run them in parallel until the majority of the market for small/light laptops has caught up with them.

I'm at the other end of the market, I want a beefy laptop with 32GB of RAM and lots of USB ports wink I'm hoping one day Intel/Apple will let me have a 15 inch Retina with 32GB of RAM. Until then I'll struggle on with my much upgraded 13 inch Pro.