I don't think that Prof. Fisher's proposed distribution concept will be the new paradigm.

Two things he does not address here are: a) the inherent lack of structure and thus the uncontrollability of the internet; and b) the fact that
after the initial production cost all subsequent inventory costs nothing. This leads to some interesting pricing possibilities.

Prof. Fisher's concept of some regulating body (like ASCAP or BMI does now) to oversee the distribution and pricing of digitally distributed music is unlikely given the unfettered nature of the internet, where in all probability most of the music distribution will occur. I don't envision artists or purchasers welcoming another layer of bureaucracy that can only add inconvenience and expense to what would otherwise be a straightforward transaction. If it is more advantageous for an artist to sell directly to his customers, there is no way to force him to do otherwise.

Because the costs of production and distribution are effectively zero (after the music is actually created, that is) this gives rise to fantastic
opportunities for agressive price reduction through volume. It is not unreasonable to suppose that prices for music distributed on the internet could be set so low that it is literally more cost effective to buy it than to go to the trouble of pirating it. Sort of like the unfulfilled promise of nuclear energy that "...would be too cheap to meter." Would an artist rather sell 10,000 copies of his work at $1.00 a copy, or 1,000 copies at $10 a copy? Particularly if he sells directly to the consumer with no middleman? I think he'd take the high-volume low-margin model if for no other reason than more exposure leads to more sales later on.

I guess the biggest problem involved in this kind of direct distribution is handling the bookkeeping. The first model that comes to my mind is, of course, the credit card, but there may well be other methods I am not familiar with for handling internet credit transactions.

Anyway, I think we're going to see some big changes in the music business in the very near future. Look how quickly CDs replaced vinyl
records... this shift could come just as quickly.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"