I don't want to leap to Jeremy's defence or anything, but here is something from the Empeg Ltd Press Release when it was aquired by SB in late 2000 and I quote:
In reply to:

How did empeg become involved with SONICblue?

In late 1999 empeg developed a home networked thin client for digital audio distribution over the emerging Home PNA standard. The concept platform was demonstrated to major OEM clients at Comdex and CES, and from there a relationship was formed with S3. Empeg went on to develop the Dell Audio Receiver and Rio Receiver products for S3.

So, yes Empeg Ltd did have a relationship with S3, its not improbable that S3 (or a related company) bought/swapped/whatever some Empegs for 'internal use' within S3 (maybe as gifts for important customers or employees etc) and this stock is what Jeremy is now selling.

I don't know but I think it would be wise for Jeremy to show from where and under what circumstances this stock was acquired.

If the units are refurbs, or lost stock or something, fine, but it should be stated that way.

It doesn't help the perception that something is not right about these goods when they are initally promoted as Mk2A's and then when questioned to finally admit they are Mk2s in fact.

I don't need to buy any more units but I'd be pissed off if I thought I was buying a brand *new* Mk2A and I got a refurb or a at least 15 month old Mk2.
Some folks will be just grateful to get one at all - I'd just make sure I knew what is was that I was buying.