Well, my question is how obscure do you want the suggestions? Do I have to mention Pink Floyd's DSOM, the Beatles' Sergent Peppers, Led Zeppelin IV, or The Doors?

Obscurity, of course, is relative. No-one on either side of the Atlantic needs to be reminded about Dark Side Of The Moon or Sergeant Pepper, but not all bands were promoted both in the US and UK. Did the Stone Roses make it in the US? What about James? Who, conversely, are the US bands that Brits will never have heard of?

Anyway,

1. The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses, by a mile from:
2. James, Goldmother
3. The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
4. The Happy Mondays, Pills 'n' Thrills 'n' Bellyaches
5. New Order, Substance, which is maybe not allowed because it's a Greatest Hits, but all New Order's best work is IMO on the twelve-inches collected here, not on the album versions.
6. Portishead, Dummy
7. Orbital, Diversions
8. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here, (Crazy Diamond wins it for me against Dark Side Of The Moon)
9. The Beatles, Sergeant Pepper

Okay, that's only nine, but beyond there it starts getting into the territory of albums like The Chemical Brothers' Surrender, where the brilliant tracks are packaged up with a few merely OK ones.

Peter

P.S. Anyone buying CDs on the basis of compensating the artists for their work should bear in mind that, due to a spectacular piece of predatory contract-writing, the Stone Roses do not receive any money from CD sales of The Stone Roses.