Oh it's there, no need to hijack anything. It just needs to be brought up with ifconfig.....

Great, I misunderstood and thought it hadn't been compiled in. If I can finish soldering this weekend, I'll try bringing it up along with gpsd

I don't think you'd really want a purely GPS based clock anyways. Just look at all the delays, gpsapp is (or should be) running at a lower priority compared to the player. I'd rather have my location lag by a second or two than skipping music.

Agreed. Hmmm. For hard-core positionists, could you have an adjustable priority tied to a Wendy filter or genre or something??

Gpsapp wakes up 10 times per second and handles whatever was in the serial buffers at that time. So any measurement we get is on average 50ms delayed. And then the timestamp we receive isn't even the UTC time that the message was sent/received, but rather the UTC time of the last time we calculated a fix, it might just as well be several seconds old. If we want to get a better time estimate we'd have to busy loop and grab stuff from the serial as soon as it is received.

For our skill level in TSD rallying, *reliability* is important, but precision would be acceptable at +/- 1 second. I wish we could begin to care about milliseconds!!

It sounds more like you really want to use the local clock, but have it 'disciplined' by the PPS signal from the GPS receiver. I'm not sure the empeg really has the oomph left over to do that kind of stuff, it probably does if you don't care much about playing music. (and adding an intermediate gpsd will add even more unpredictable latency in the tcp socket buffers).

Yes, a GPS-disciplined clock. And if it ever managed to be more accurate than strictly required for our rallying purpose, somebody else might find a use for that precision. Way back when I remember elleweber disabusing me of tapping 1PPS with the Empeg's existing serial interface. My memory is that much more work would have to be done to accept 1PPS into a clock process -- probably not something with the reach of my meagre talents. Given that it looks like you are including some degree of support for gpsd, my leaning would be try my hand at something that fetches time from that.

Yes, when first I conceived of a big clock, I wasn't thinking we'd use the player concurrently, but I've changed my mind on that so resources would be a concern...

As a side note, v0.6 is out. The main change is that the the route description files are now an ascii format.

More action!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.