In reply to:

I've never investigated low-carb diets very closely but I'd be surprised if they were effective for weight loss if they encouraged sitting down all day snacking on almost pure pork fat...

The truth is even self proclaimed health experts have no idea how fats affect weight loss, actually fat is good for you if you eat the right kinds. The fact is it's a common misconception that eating fat makes you fat, most of the chemical additives in "low fat" foods actually impair weight loss... Low carb diets do indeed work I can vouch for that... They work extremely well... there are arguments as to the health risks involved. However for me after 2 weeks and a loss of 10lbs I couldn't resist the urge to eat bread. These diets don't work for me simply because of the willpower factor. I was amazed when I tried the atkins diet that I could get up, eat eggs, bacon, sausage, then for lunch eat a huge frickin steak, dinner consisting of two chicken breasts cheese and other various meats and still lose weight. Once your body hits keytosis (i think thats how you spell it) the weight starts falling off.