Loren, you'd be surprised how many dealers are "mod friendly" and will let you mod the car w/o voiding your warranty. Ask you local section of NASIOC.com, i-club.com, or clubwrx.net (my new favorite) which dealers are good.

We have a good mod-friendly dealer here so I've already instead a TurboXS MBC (manual boost controller), Prodrive axel-back exhaust, Vishnu Intercool Hoses, Vishnu Underdrive pulley, K&N filter, removed intake resonator, Kartboy short-shift kit, Godspeed Uppipe and Godspeed Downpipe. Because you're in Cali, you'll have to research what mods are going to be CA emissions safe. But freeing up the exhaust (we have 3 cats!) legally and safely raising the boost will give you the most bang for the buck.

PS - Now that I think of it, when NASIOC used to be called "i-club.com", one of the owners posted on this BBS. Do a search and look him up - there are a surprising number of Subby/empeg owners out there (don't forget to see my webpage for Subby boot logos).

Here are my favorite Subby links including some for sound. http://persiconi.com/wrx/subbylinks.html