Are you gonna wait 'till the odometer clicks over to 1k and then boot it?
Heheh... i'll probably kick it in slowly after that... more worried about ME handling the cars power than the whole break in thing. =]

Which is why I depend on the owner's manual
Exactly... it's in the owners manual, so i'm doing it.

I've been sure to vary the rpms... even when i'm highway driving i'll shift all over the place just to keep it from being constant at 4k for long periods.

It is weird though... that the ECU will have been pretty punched into it's learning by the time you can push it over 4k. I'll be resetting it anyhow when i install the empeg (gotta disconnect that battery terminal =]).

You don't listen to the 30-minute Oil Change place ?? What interest would they have in telling you to change your oil so often??
Actually, i've heard arguments against the owners manual oil change periods as well... something to do with the manufacturer being able to advertise longer wear and cheaper cost per mile. At least it's not detrimental to anything but your wallet to change the oil more often than necessary. IIRC the WRX manual says change every 3500. It has a nice maintenence chart in the back i need to copy and post somewhere i'll see it.

I'm going to subscribe to techinfo.subaru.com tonight and download the entire service manual. If you want me to snag anything for ya let me know. =]