Seems like this year's cameras (in pro-sumer and up) are all turkeys. All 8MP cameras seem like total and complete garbage to me. The Digital Rebel isn't all it's cracked up to be and the D70 had me yawning from the first press release. Spend the extra 1k and you get a much better camera.

Most reviewers are too soft in their reviews. They're definitely not critical enough or have lost their eye. I have seen all kinds of positive reviews for the 8MP prosumer cameras using Sony's sensor. Come on. Give me a break. They're all terrible. Soft focus, insane amount of noise, chromatic abberation abound... You name the problem, nearly all the cameras using that sensor have it.

SLR is the magic word right now. Put together any pile of crap, slap SLR on it, mark it at $999 and you have a sure-fire winner. With the level of image quality coming from current sensors, you have to do major reductions on your images to have them be acceptable when inspected on a computer. Sure, many of them will print fine to various sizes. Analog output devices introduce their own set of issues which can mask the camera's faults. The larger the sensor the less severe the problems of course. That's about the only thing the SLRs have going right now. They're leaning toward sensor sizes that can produce decent results. The micro-sensors in the 8MP stuff can be reduced to produce a half-decent 5MP or 4MP image, but that's about it. Unless you're looking at the doctored shots put up by the manufacturers themselves.

Sorry for the rant. I just think the latest batch of equipment is a scam.

Bruno