I finally broke down and bought the Nikon D70. Two things triggered me: B&H just got the camera in stock again, and Adobe released the new version of Camera Raw plug-in that supports the D70. As a result, I don't have to spend another $100 on Nikon's high-end RAW conversion software. After reading all the reviews, the major concern I had was moire, but the solution seems to be shooting raw and converting it yourself afterward. Since I never shoot JPEG if I can help it, anyway, I should be able to mostly avoid the moire problems. Everything else, in every other review I've read, is quite positive on the camera, particularly for the price, so I decided to go for it.

I'm getting two lenses: the "kit" 18-70mm lens, and the 105mm macro lens. That covers most of the ways that I like to use my current camera and then some. At some point in the future, I'll consider the 10.5mm fisheye and/or the 70-200 VR zoom, but I think I'm getting plenty enough to get me started. I also ordered the SB-800 flash-of-doom along with a set of gel filters so I can tune the flash color. The camera can trigger the flash wirelessly, which means I can do some fun work holding the flash in one hand and the camera in the other. All said and done, it's a fancy toy that I hope to continue using for a while to come.

My next purchase is going to be a camera bag. I assume I really need to handle these in person. Any brands I should make a point of examining? Any brands I should make a point of avoiding?