I think I accidentally shuffled a few lines of text around while writing.

The images coming from the 6MP sensors in the Rebel and D70 are not comparable to the 8MP I was scrutinizing elsewhere in the post. Those two cameras just have a slew of other issues when compared to their film cousins. Poor body construction only one of those things.

I'm also not a fan of producing the big bulk of a traditional SLR while fitting it with a sub-sized sensor (DX in the case of the D70). Now you have a camera that uses the same mount as your older film camera but anything shot with older lenses doesn't use the full lense. Move to a new mount already or put a full-frame sensor in the camera please. Film cameras also had to deal with a number of constriants that aren't present with digital, such as cartridge and film space, so how about making the bodies smaller?

I love the size of the Nikon 5700. I hate the sensor. I'd like something between it and the D70 in size, with a full-frame sensor. Magnesium body, not plastic. Full flash capabilities, high-speed ports (USB2hs or IEEE1394), a bucket-load of built-in and very FAST RAM, a super-fast processor and maybe a 12mp sensor. Ideally a true-color sensor if anyone ever makes a good one. I want fast shot-to-shot times using internal memory with parallel (deferred) writing to flash..

I'd hate to have to go with the D70 right now, but I don't need an SLR bad enough at this time to force me into it. If I needed one as part of employment however, I'd spend additional bucks and get something more durable. The D70 is more of a hobbyist camera.

I had high hopes of the new 8MP prosumer models, but those are all an extreme let down. Their weaknesses in image quality prevent me considering any of them as a replacement for my 5MP 5700.

Bruno