Yup, the Hijack playlist web server is faster (due to Linux automatically applying any unused DRAM to disk-caching). And Tony's new emphatic stuff (and his even newer unreleased wonders) all can use extra memory to avoid starving the player. I really think the existing diskbuilder software will automatically take advantage of extra DRAM, enabling much easier installation of very large hard drives.

And since my own players may soon all have 32MB, I am quite likely to open the floodgates on Hijack, adding all sorts of new menus and features now that stealing memory from the music player is no longer an issue. Of course, I suppose I'll *have* to still produce a stripped-down crippled Hijack for stock players, but for my own players.. well.. it's time for vertical playlist menus!

And it is very very likely that a future (amersfoort?) alpha release of player software will include some way of having the player take advantage of extra installed memory for larger track buffers == less wear and tear on the hard drives, better .wav and .flac playback, etc..

A really cheap solution for Empeg longevity!

cheers