Oooh dear it lookes like I've got a lot of catching up to do.

The AutoEQ is not optimised for any particular mic. It assumes the microphone has a flat frequency response. The better the mic you use, the better the AutoEQ will perform, but for thorectially perfect results, you would have to know the frequency response of your mic and correct for it afterwards (by simply adjusting the eq gains manually).

Now, my idea about nominating a particular model of microphone for a "standard" is simply that we can determine its frequency response and share that info between everyone who has the same mic. Rather like internet standards, consistency is more important than quality.

However, it turns out that radio shack were rude enough not to mention in their datasheet that the KUC1515-01-0850 is a 3 lead model.

This makes it hard to connect to the player without additional components, and those component values will affect frequency repsonse... thereby undermining our attempts sharing a measured frequency response.

The question is, how many people have bought one? If lots of you guys have then we now need to invent a recommended standard way of connecting the KUC1515-01-0850 to the car player otherwise I will un-recommend the KUC1515-01-850 and pick something else with 2 leads to recommend instead.

I couldn't find a circuit on http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/microphone_powering.html for connecting a mic such as KUC1515-01-850 to a car player. I would have thought, referring to Tony's image that
  • empeg ground to mic ground
  • empeg signal to mic power (red) via 3.3K resistor
  • empeg signal also to mic signal (white) via 4.7uF capacitor
might work from looking at the car player schematics (basically trying to seperate AC signal from DC power).

Cheers, John