You can do a search on that artist...
Sorry to be picky, but this is way to fiddly to do when driving along at 100mph, unless there is a way to memorise the keystrokes

Agreed. I was just listing the ways that it could be done. Alphanumeric searches are best done when stopped.

pressing the "2" key on the remote...
This requires me to *know* how many songs I have by the artist? What happens when I exhaust the list, does it recycle?

No, it just quits adding songs and puts up a brief "no matching artist" message. You can pound on that "2" key all day and it won't hurt anything.

They deliberately only search the remainder of the current playlist when using the tweak order functions, and this is one of the reasons for doing it that way.

you can turn off shuffle...
But, in my case, all of my playlists are a single album - so this would only give me a single album worth - not the complete playlist.

Right. I did say "assuming your playlist structure is set up correctly to allow it". In my humble opinion, you should consider creating a set of artist/album trees so you can take advantage of this feature in 1.1 when it comes out. Note that your artist/album trees will need to be ordered first in Emplode for it to work. It's very easy to move playlists around in Emplode and it would only take a few minutes to create your artist trees and order them correctly. If you do this, then both of the features you're asking for will be literally a single button-press (the "0" key on the remote to turn off shuffle).