I would never want to do it that way. Neither would most people who want their audio functions more accessible with the knob (which I believe is being added in 1.1). If it were an option, fine, I'll go with that.
I didn't realise that the volume knob had been earmarked for some functionality in 1.1 already - didn't see it mentioned in the recent 1.1 features thread, so fair enough I can see the problem here - although I would dispute that the searching functionality is less important than the audio functions - surely most people set up the EQ, etc less often than searching the empeg (although I appreciate that most people don't have this functionality yet)?

Plus, I hate to be rude, but alot of your questions would have been answered rather quickly and easily if you had tested out those situations for yourself. I found that part of the fun was finding out precisely what the player would do in certain situations.
Actually, I had spent a little time looking at this, which admittedly I didn't mention, but I couldn't see a way to do this without a search, which (bar the '2' and '0' methods) is still currently the case (although, thanks to Tony I certainly understand it a lot better - I needed to move my playlists). So I turned to the people who I know know the most about the empeg functionality.

I'm sorry that you feel that this was an unnecessary question.

Frankly, I like how it works now. What you consider a UI design flaw I think of as working out rather well. Heck, I haven't even tried the tweak functions yet!
Well, you are certainly allowed an opinion.

Given that I work in databases, one of the major questions that is always asked - how easily can I find what I want in the database? Given that (as tony says) that the Empeg has a large DB - up to 64GB remember - that could be as many as 1000 CD's - ways of quickly searching and finding information is crucial.

I thought that this feature would be a improvement in the way that we can search and find information on the empeg, not specifically a UI flaw or design failure.

Don't get me wrong here - I still like the empeg - in fact if I'd have bought this product from a different manufacturer, I'd have never even bothered to bring it up, but since empeg and more specifically this board, and it's members, are well renowned for being helpful and knowledgable, I thought that I'd mention it.

I'm very sorry if anyone thought that I approached this in the wrong manner, but I feel that searching a database of potentially 1000CD's in a quick a manner as possible is of vital importance to something like the empeg - particularly when said unit and user is moving at >30 MPH, something that most large capactiy devices do not do - (see Rio Receiver, PJ100, etc).

Anyway, on that note, I think that I'll leave this well alone.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357