Don't worry, this thread is talking about a rather esoteric feature. It's one of those things that's come about because of the fact that the Empeg can store so much music and allows you to do some searches on that database. If the Empeg was like a CD player, we wouldn't even be asking these questions.
I agree that this functionality is needed because the empeg is a large capacity database. That's exactly what causes the need for more searching functionality.

As I mentioned in my other post - there are exactly Zero (0) other products that require you to search a potentially 1000CD database at 70+ mph with minimal amounts of looking at the screen for feedback. That's exactly why the functionality of the searching is so important (and I'm not talking about just this feature here)

It's the "give 'em an inch and they'll ask for a mile" situation: Competitor's MP3 players don't even come close to the flexibility that the Empeg has for organizing and searching your music.

Does this mean that we should always be happy with our 'lot'? I thought that this board was all about talking about the empeg and possible ways to make things better, etc.

I don't feel that asking for more extensive or easy to use enhancements to the 'already-powerful' interface is unreasonable.

What we're talking about here is further extending the already-very-powerful interface with even more powerful stuff.

Agreed, but remember, as I've said before, a database of ~1000CD's - possibly ~10,000 songs, is not a simple thing to navigate - ever - even given a laptop screen.

We all know that the empeg has a small screen and limited UI. We all live in the internet world, and hyperlinking is the stuff of the internet - finding stuff related to what we're looking at right now - that's all I'm really trying to convey with this.

I have found myself wanting to do this on a significant amount of occasions ( and, yes, this is because the empeg allows me to listen to random songs across my entire music collection), but I'm loathe to stop my journey, just to manipulate the empeg - hence the discussion.

Some of this functionality already exists - as you mentioned - and I'll certainly be trying this out, but I don't like using the remote very much (since it always seems to be where I'm not) and I was proposing a new solution - for discussion.

I've already pontificated at great length about this, as have you Tony, so perhaps we should leave it here.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357