Quote:
When the movie industry starts taking my time seriously enough to stop the BS habit of theatre only releases for new movies, then maybe I'll see more movies.

Why is it that movies are the only product that's released in one channel, then out of release, then in another later on? If they would let me see new movies on demand they'd have more of my money. There's lots of movies I want to see right after the initial marketing blitz that I don't want to see five months later at the DVD rental shop.

I find your outlook on this unusual. Now can you tell my *why* you don't want to see those movies 5 months later?

I remember the period roughly from 1969 to 1978. I saw more movies per year than in any time in my life. Dates in downtown Boston, military theaters (Stand up for the Star-Spangled Banner!), theaters overseas with subtitles. Oh, I miss those days! Revival houses in Cambridge (long sinced closed) where we could sit in the front row of the balcony and eat smuggled deli sandwiches.

I won't say that I have a love/hate affair with theaters, more that it is bittersweet. Now, post-VHS, the theater market much reduced and titled toward vacuous, formulaic blockbusters and sequels. Ticket prices too high and concession prices ridiculous. But I have reached an accomodation of sorts. For one, I don't buy the popcorn and, if we don't smuggle M&Ms, we plan lunch before/after with some care. As someone else suggested, I/we avoid popular shows in the first few weeks. You'll find me somewhere between the 3rd and 5th row, depending on the theater, where the screen fills the field of view, where the sound system will get past the occasionally inconsiderate whisperer, and where the angle to the screen means bobbing heads are not an issue. Is it perfect? No. (I hate most of the commercial stuff. But I love previews!) Is there a replacement? No.

Another friend married a gent who, bordering on wealthy, has a home theater system (72" screen, 14 powered surround speakers, 5 subwoofers, 1 sub-subwoofer and a full 42U of electronics) that I have reason to believe cost at least twice the price of my humble abode. Watched the super-duper version of 5th Element on it and some Peter Gabriel. Three of us.

Well, they're down in Portland, so going there for a movie would cost more than theater popcorn. Barring Lotto, and living in a condo, I am never going to have any sort of system that comes close to the scope of what I get when I get to the theatre a bit early and get that dead-center seat in the 4th row. I think that there are plenty of folks out there who don't stand a chance of owning any sort of home theater setup but who might manage, a few times a year, to buy a ticket to a matinee on a rainy day. Gad I hope there are still senior discount matinees (and theaters!) in 10 years!

OK, so theaters sometimes suck. But theaters are great.

Have I ever enjoyed a good comedy as much in a room of three people as I have a full, first-night theater crowded with my smelly fellow humans? NO!

Quote:
I know it's tied up in how movies are financed, but I really don't give a rats' ass nor do I care about the financial condition of movie theatres. I've bought enough $8 popcorn in my life.[/RANT]

Don't buy the popcorn. Or maybe just once a year!

Quote:
Please continue with your regularly scheduled discussion of Syriana.

-Zeke

Not sure how much more Syriana I can allude to without abusing the SPOILER bbcode!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.