Quote:
Seems like nobody's bothered to use the technology.

The problem I am betting with most of these technologies is that they end up being very disruptive to the person taking the call. The system I used for a short time under the Compaq banner would populate the phone number field in our call logger when someone called so we could log a case. Problem is, the application that pulled the phone number off the phone switch would then force the call logger to the front and start doing a macro to get a new case started with the phone number. If I was clicking anywhere else or typing, the process was broken and wasted my time to clean up the program to then get a case started.

Most people on my team stopped the program when they logged in for the day because of this. Or the other issue was that the phone number might not be right, as larger companies tended to put their account info on a main number, and not every IT workers desk phone. It was just easier to ask "What phone number is your account info under" then hope the application might work and that the customer entered the right number in the system, as ours did no verification.

The system I do like now though is one used on the HP enterprise support line. The first menu asks if it is an existing call the customer is calling in about. If that selection is picked, the system asks for the case number, and will route the call to the last department to work with the case. In addition, if the tech who last worked the case is available, it will first ring their phone before going to the general queue to be answered by someone else. All without software on every PC. This helps, since HP supports multiple OS choice internally for the employees, and usually all the CTI software is Windows only.