Quote:
So any thoughts? I don't really need a family car, but I'm not stuck on a sports car either.

That's a pretty wide open question.

Which of the following parameters are "must have", "must NOT have", or "don't care"?

• FWD / RWD / 4WD / AWD
  • Convertible / Coupe
  • Stick / PaddleShift / Automatic / CVT
  • HighHorsepower / HighRPMs / LowEndTorque / Turbocharger / Supercharger
  • 2-seater / 4-seater / CanCarryGolfClubs
  • Heavy / Light
  • HeatedSeats / otherLuxuryStuff
  • SideCurtainAirBags / otherSafetyStuff
  • American / German / Japanese
  • under-$30K / $30-40K / $40-50K / $50-60K / $60K-70K / $70K+
  • SportsCar / GTCar / HighwayCruiser.

Rank the following from most-to-least in terms of importance:
  • Price
  • Economy
  • Comfort
  • Handling
  • Acceleration
  • DepreciatingDoodads-in-the-dashboard (GPSNav/bluetooth/Ipod)
  • Maintenance costs (I.e., wide Z-rated tires aren't cheap and don't last)
  • Resale value
  • Lines of the car (how it looks to YOU)
  • Image of the car (how it looks to OTHERS)
  • Safety

All that being said, I'd recommend looking at a BMW 335 to get a great cross-section of HP, handling, and comfort.

Of course, it's been heavily Bangled so I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot-pole. And you might get iDrive rammed down your throat, too. (SUCK) So that's off the list.

So maybe you should get a Infiniti G35, since it's a Bimmer-killer in many respects. Of course, the plastic interior is Empeg-proof and will totally start rattling apart in about a year. So no-go on this one.

Then again, the Lexus IS350 might be interesting. But I doubt you want to be one of "those" Lexus drivers. OK. Scratch that.

You mentioned that you like Mustangs. Of course you might now be getting a little too old to be "that kid with the Mustang" and yet still be a little too young to be "that mid-life crisis guy with the Mustang." Another one scratched off the list.

A new re-vamped "Bitchin' Camaro" comes out next year (I think).

Alternately, you can buy a Mitsu Evo and get a fair amount of driving excitement. Of course, you'll look like an overgrown 16-year-old who bolted a wing and a bunch of crap onto his car. On the other hand, driving it may be so much fun that you don't car about all the juvenile delinquents trying to goad you to race them at every stoplight.

Another direction to go would be the Subaru WRX Sti. Oceans, Mountains, Mud, Rain, Dry Pavement. Drive Drive Drive, baby.

Or, another thought: a slightly used Toyota MR2.
Already depreciated. Convertible. What's not to love?

Hey, how about a Saturn Sky or a Pontiac Solstice?
Their performance characteristics on paper aren't all that great, but I bet you could have a HECK of a lot of fun in one of those for maybe 20 Grand or so.

Hard to beat that.

But you might have some issues with lugging your guitar amp around (bring one to the dealer and see if you can jam it in the trunk).

Or get a 20 year old Porsche 944 for $6-8K. Maintenance might suck, though.

Quote:
I just want something fun to drive if I'm going to spent 2.5 hours in it every day.

2.5 hours!?

OK, never mind. Buy a Prius or a Hybrid.
Or a tiny Toyota Yaris which you can just drive into the ground.