Quote:
I want...

...an Ariel Atom!

Oh wait, I mean the inverse of that.

Quote:
Are all of the BMW 3 series cars smaller,

Blasphemy!
If you put a 3-series from the last 5 years or so next to one from the 80's, you'll see the new one is about 50% bigger (and about 50% heavier).
Their little sporty car has become a big ol' semi-luxury cruiser.
(Though it still maintains best-in-class performance despite becoming a big fat pig.)

And a more serious answer: you might want to take a look at the 4-door 3-series. It might be just enough bigger and still be sporty enough for you. And also the 2-door might not be as small inside as you think.

Quote:
I'd think that looking at used Audi's might be the way to go; are the models that music mentioned comparable to the G35?

TT coupe might be too small for you (possibly), and the A4 might be too stodgy for you (possibly). But as mentioned above, the S4 might be your "goldilocks" car. (not too hot, not too cold, just right)
It is a good car for a responsible family man who still wants to tear it up occasionally, but can throw a baby seat in the back at other times.
You'll just have to see if the lines of the car look good in your eyes.

All the A4/S4/330ci/G35 are all popular with 25-40 year old techie males for good reasons. So you probably will be happy with any of them.

I immediately ruled out the G35 a few years ago for no other reason than that it was not Empeg-able. But I enjoyed my test drive!

And based on a very limited sample size, I believe the G35 interiors tend to start rattling more than the BMWs when they get older, but that could just be luck of the draw, or difference in my friends' driving habits.
(And ALL cars seem to start rattling apart any more. The price you pay for replacing 50 pounds of screws with little plastic pop rivets.)