I intend my next car to be a used Mercedes 4Matic E class wagon. I think its the best built car on the road, but definitely not terribly "fun" to drive (though they handle very well and have adequate power).

You'd be amazed at how much car you can get for $25-30k in the used E-Class market right now, as the body was just recently updated.

The D "diesel" tempts me, but isn't available in a 4Matic wagon. The D can do almost 700 miles per tank.

If I decide to go purely for comfortable, reliable transportation at the least possible cost, I'll get a used Crown Victoria. These are designed for fleet use and are *extremely* rugged. Check ebay for the prices on 2 year old Crowns (or Mercury Marquis) with all the options. Its an absurd amount of car for the money. Not fun to drive by any means, but quiet, comfortable, and fairly powerful. The adjustable pedals are awesome.

I don't believe in car payments. If I don't want to throw down the cash for the E, I'll get the Crown. I highly recommend paying cash for less car, but I understand that is regarded as an absurd idea these days.

Edited by TigerJimmy (25/02/2007 05:01)