Quote:
I have a really hard time coming to grips with paying somebody to tell me what I can and can't do.

We do it all the time. It's called government taxes and government regulations.

As such, a homeowner's association is really nothing more than a micro-government with its own taxes. That could be good or bad. At least in theory, a home-owner's association could be very effective even while the surrounding government was dysfunctional. The converse could also potentially be true.

In my new neighborhood, I'm not really concerned about derelict neighbors. I'm far more concerned about the nearby Texas Medical Center, which has been steadily building itself bigger, and taller, up into the sky. From my new front yard, I will see the neighbors across the street, and a huge, massive tower currently under construction a few blocks away. My fear is that, over the next decade or two, and due to the lack of zoning, more of my sky will be occupied by giant office towers.

On the flip side, our proximity to those very towers should keep our property values up, as there will always be somebody who works there who is keen to walk to work...