Quote:
There are, after all, probably still places in both the US and the UK where (sadly) house prices would go down if a black family moved in next door. Loss of house value alone cannot be a legally actionable event, chaos would ensue.

Well said, Peter. In my heart I'm sure you're wrong, but you state your case so elegantly that I am at a loss to refute it.

There must be a line somewhere that even you wouldn't cross. OK, a messy yard doesn't cross it. How about a situation where the Clampetts decide that it is too expensive to replace their septic system and let raw sewage stand in execrable pools on their property? Maybe they want to start up a metal stamping operation, keeping everybody awake in a quarter mile radius? No, these are weak examples, because in the first the health authorities would step in, and the second would run afoul of zoning regulations pertaining to businesses in a residential area, and not have anything to do with preserving the quality of the neighborhood.

I'm sure, however, that there must be some circumstance, even though confined physically to the "offenders' " property, that would merit preventative action on the part of some authority or other. Or, maybe not. Is this just a small expansion of the "...window blinds the wrong color" scenario that started this thread?

tanstaafl.