Quote:
Maybe they want to start up a metal stamping operation, keeping everybody awake in a quarter mile radius? No, these are weak examples, because ... [it] would run afoul of zoning regulations pertaining to businesses in a residential area, and not have anything to do with preserving the quality of the neighborhood.

What if they decided to take up metal stamping as a hobby? Or they had a garage band that played into the early morning? These are covered (in my jurisdiction) by noise ordinances that are city law, not HOA restrictions. There are things that are nearly universally frowned upon, and most of those are taken care of in law, in my experience. Things that you personally object to: tough. This works both ways, though. Some people work at night and would be fine with the garage band at 2AM, but really hate it when they're playing at 11AM.

Unfortunately, if some significant minority objects, then that reduces the demand for your property. Again, tough. I suppose you could sue, as you can sue for anything, but I don't know if you'd succeed. It's not totally ridiculous, even if I personally find it to be so.