It's not the accents in the name. NTFS stores its filenames in unicode, so one would assume these accents should work.

But to remove assumptions however, I've just been doing some testing re-creating folders with the same accents - and in fact the exact same name(s).

The folder I mentioned along with some others that fail, also fail when browsing over the network. Not necessarily in the same way though. So I've done testing over the network as well.

Over on the Windows side I've created some new folders with the same names using Explorer.

Browse them on the Mac with the drive connected directly or over the network and it all works fine.

If I COPY the original problem folders then the copies show the same issues. Therefore, in the case mentioned specifically above, if I create a new folder but copy in the old files, I can see the folder, but the files won't show up.

I have now set XP, by making an edit to the registry, to not create 8.3 names, which is a feature to support legacy 16-bit apps for the most part. This will hopefully prevent any new problem filenames and is also supposed to increase disk performance in some cases). However, I can't find a way to purge/delete from the disk all 8.3 aliases. I think that would solve the problem here.

One of the other folders that shows this issue is named "M.I.A." and neither it nor its sub-folders/files have any accents.