What do you guys think of the new AT&T data plan pricing?

On the one hand, I'm thrilled to have a carrier be upfront about everything. As long as I never see the word "unlimited" applied to any of these plans, I'll be happy with their decision to be straightforward with their customers, both on what they get from the plans they pay for and what they can expect when they go over.

But on the other hand, I can't help but think that these plans hurt the heavy data user. I understand that people use less data than they think - we've talked about that before in regards to the iPad - but the fact remains that there are people who need more than 200MB of data (I'd burn through that in a couple days), and for those people these plans just seem a little worse.

I was a little shocked to see that they'd change the iPad pricing. I figured Apple had worked out a deal on that front, and I thought it was a fantastic deal. I was really impressed by that. I guess AT&T finally realized that it didn't make sense to give the iPad truly unlimited data when the iPhone didn't have it. I never understood that.

For me, the biggest offense here is that if someone is paying MORE for tethering, they don't get any more bandwidth. What that says is "yes, we give you these 2GB, but don't really use it, it's just there to make you feel good." Would it kill their business to give tethering plans another GB or two?

All I know is that I'm sitting pretty on T-Mobile with unofficial hotspot capability for no additional cost smile We'll see how long that lasts...

I'll also be curious to hear how tethering will [finally] work on the iPhone. Will it be traditional tethering or will they also have hotspot sharing?