Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Here's how to fix your Evo and Incredible battery consumption: http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/06/03/t...-about-android/

Oh come on, seriously? He's honestly saying that the only way the phone is usable is to set the screen to 10% brightness and root the phone so you can underclock the CPU? Seriously? That is a load of bull s**t. Actually, due to the extreme nature of their suggestions, I call FUD on that article.

Where to start? Okay, lets start with the writer's claims that the EVO and the Incredible are BOTH horrible battery hogs. I don't know about the EVO, but the Nexus One and the Incredible are essentially the same phone, and I simply DO NOT experience the battery problems claimed in this article. Heck, the EVO is the same phone too, just with a larger screen. That, of course, affects battery life, but the EVO also has a larger battery than the other two phones.

So the reason I have a hard time believing that the Incredible has bad battery life is based on my experience with the N1. As I type this, my phone has been on battery power for 17 hours. In that time it has been on full brightness every time I turn it on. I've sent about 12 emails from it today, talked on the phone for 25 minutes, played games on it for 20 minutes, browsed the web for 15 minutes, used it on WiFi and 3G, and listened to podcasts for around two hours straight. My battery life is at around 66%, and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

All that said, I have to agree with you, Jim. I wasn't aware that Sprint was putting software of their own on the EVO. Apparently carriers don't realize that they have, in the history of the cell phone industry, written the absolute worst garbage that's ever been put on any of their own phones. It's one of the reasons the Backflip sucks. I don't believe that Verizon does this on their Android phones, and I know that T-Mobile doesn't force their own apps on you (I believe my G1 had a T-Mobile app that I couldn't uninstall, but it never ran in the background so I didn't care).

Lastly, I'm more than willing to agree that Sense might be a culprit in any battery problems. Fortunately instructions were just released on putting the standard Android 2.1 on the EVO.