I used the wdidle3 program to report back the idle time after setting it. I set it to 30 seconds, then read it back, then set it to 2 minutes and it reports that back as well. I was just going to disable it completely, but thought 2 mins was a good cmpromise between that and 30 seconds. Even if it were set to 8 seconds, the drive would never be idle that long on the copy tests I've been doing - 73GB copy is going to spin all the disks for a long while.

I'm pretty confident this is some issue with the latest ReadyNAS firmware which is the first one to support 4k sector drives.

As a point of reference, the same 73GB copy between internal SATA drives averaged out to 56MB/s. I would expect time to the NAS of at least 50-60MB/s, with the internal drives and PC being the bottle neck.

If this issue gets resolved then I can team the two network ports on the PC and the two ports on the NAS to see how much more speed I can squeeze out. BUt first things first. Other people are getting unteamed speeds upwards of 80MB/s writing to the same NAS.