Originally Posted By: Roger

Offset in Bytes: 1048576

So you need to divide this number by 512 (number of bytes per sector), which results in 2048. I've already read that since Vista, this is the sector where the Windows OS starts the partition (was 63 before?). Does this number HAVE to be 2048 to be correct, or can this be any power of 2 number?

BTW, I've also found another way to see the offset in Windows:

How to tell if your disks are aligned?
How can you tell if a disk is unaligned at the Windows partition level? Remember the MBR statement — that x86 systems use the first 63 sectors. Usually there are 512 bytes per sector. If you do the math, 63 x 512 = 32,256. To verify this, log into a machine (physical or virtual) as an administrator that has not had its system volume aligned. Go to Start, then Run, then type in "msinfo32.exe" and press enter. Navigate down to Components, then Storage, then Disks. Notice that the partition starting offset for Disk #0, Partition #0 (the system volume) is 32,256 bytes. This means that the disk is not aligned.

If the partition Starting Offset is 65.536 bytes, the disk is aligned.

This looks like Windows XP though... not sure that "msinfo32.exe" command works the same in Vista or 7. I'll check when I'm back home and have access to my win7 system, but I can't check this on the PC I'm using now.