Originally Posted By: drakino
Matt, how is the Apple way so significantly different here as far as your other options? He either buys a new Apple TV to access bought iTunes content and Netflix streams, or a Roku to access bought Amazon content and Netflix streams. Either way, he's in a "walled garden" with Amazon and their store, or Apple and their store.

I don't strictly define Amazon and Netflix as walled gardens because unlike Apple, who controls the content AND the hardware, they only control the content. While that's not ideal at least you have FAR more choice of hardware (Netflix lists 33 devices, mostly bluray players and TVs). I'm fine if you want to have a different definition, but that's just how I see it.

Originally Posted By: drakino
I've been out of the habit of watching new shows for so long now, the new episodes of an unfinished series just weren't pulling me in on Hulu. I'm willing to at least wait for a season to wrap up, and by then Netflix will likely have it on DVD at a minimum.

For a while there, NBC was letting Netflix stream new stuff too, though a day or two behind. I think the last two seasons of Heroes were handled that way, but NBC may have considered that a failed experiment (whether it was or not). The process of getting these companies to let us see their content is like pulling teeth. Worse, because sometimes these teeth have to be pulled repeatedly.

Netflix is definitely the horse I'm betting on and rooting for in this race.