Originally Posted By: Dignan
Okay, well I thought we were talking about legal options. Of course there's that route, but that's a different discussion entirely.

So, how's life breaking the law by using your Tivo (or betamax before it to be specific)? They do after all break copyright law though the case 464 U.S. 417 (1984) clarified fair use to allow it.

For me, copying my personally bought discs to a NAS is fair use. Now I'm not a lawyer, and indeed could face legal action for this, but I'm willing to wade into grey territory here, just as betamax owners did. I've come down hard here in the past on torrents due to their nature to attract lawsuits that the defendants don't win. But copying what I legally own, and keeping ownership of the original media remains pretty much towards the white side of the grey area. If I turn around and sell my DVDs, then yes, you can start accusing me of illegal actions. Call my side of it a delusion if you want, but legally this is an unclear area either way, with precedent favoring fair use.