Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
We're currently trying out Sezmi as a OTA DVR, but so far it has not met minimum WAF levels.

The Sezmi went back to Amazon within the 30 day return window.

I wanted a OTA capable DVR, of which there are a few options:
* Roll you own. I didn't look into this, Mark and others (Bruno?) have got this route.
* The DTVPal/CM7000Pal DRV for $300 and no subscriptions costs, but not sure of it's future if any.
* TiVo

Initially I was ignoring the TiVo option as I didn't want to be paying $13 to $20 per month for it, but the upsides were; known high WAF - we had one with DirecTV for years, and portability - it could work with Comcast or Verizon, if OTA didn't workout, made it warrant another look.
Ebay has used Series 3 TiVos with Lifetime subscriptions for roughly $400, though sometimes as low as $350. However I was able, through a friendly existing TiVo customer, to get a deal on a Series4 Premiere with Lifetime.

The TiVo is being feed by a 4-bay bowtie antenna. I'd been advised by folks on the TV fools forum based on the output of my TV Signal Analysis tool to get a 4bay, and borrowed one from a friend - I'll spend the $50 on the recommended CM4221HD later. The channels I am receiving are mostly the ones at 140 degrees, which is the group of antennas just west of Boston, and about 23 miles from me.
Currently we are receiving about 25 channels, mostly the ones in green and yellow in the above report, with a few more that should be get-able with some tuning, plus some Spanish that I'm not counting as I don't speak the language.

Setup was easy enough, but then I'm only feeding one TV and it's a single story building. I acknowledge that I'm lucky to be able to get OTA with such ease, and that not everything that one might want to watch is on the available channels. But OTA and a Roku works for us.