Originally Posted By: Robotic
I've heard of washing out keyboards in the sink- even tried it myself once (to no avail).

Probably that won't work in this case. The AnyKey contains a fair bit of electronics where the programmed macros are stored. In any case, the problem isn't one of intermittent contact except perhaps in the case of the keys occasionally giving double or triple letters. The problem seems to be in the electronics. A macro will go bad and print gibberish, and will repeat the same gibberish every time I play it back. If I can't come up with another AnyKey, this may be a workable solution. Not as convenient as the AnyKey, but better than nothing.

The software-only solutions I've looked at are just not feasible for me. Many, many times I program simple 5--10 keystroke macros that will only be used a few times and then discarded. The AnyKey makes that so simple: one keystroke to enter program mode, type the macro, one keystroke to exit program mode and it's done.

The software programs require me to grab the mouse, find the program icon, double-click to open the macro program, go through a menu to tell it if I am recording, erasing, or running an existing macro, record the macro, give it a name so that I can save it, assign it to a hot key, then exit the menu, close the program, and go back to the keyboard. Screw that! That's too much work to go through to record a sequence like "Down-arrow, down-arrow, ctrl-shift-right-arrow, delete, enter, page-down" that might get used 10 times in one session and then never again.

There are a very few AnyKeys for sale on eBay, being sold in "as-is" condition. I'll try and pick up a couple of them, but I'm hoping someone here will have one lovingly stored in its original box for the last 20 years or so...

tanstaafl.