Originally Posted By: Redrum
A pencil eraser works well on the contact surfaces to clean off the contacts.
It's easier than that with this keyboard. All of the contacts are on a pretty rugged Mylar sheet that I was able to just lay flat on a towel and clean with Windex and a microfiber cloth. (see photos) However, as mentioned above, the problem is probably not mechanical. Even after cleaning the contacts, the keyboard cannot be used with the macro function enabled. It becomes electronically confused, substituting "/"s for "i"s, and any random letter I type might suddenly decide that instead of "a" it is "f1#r_&htynp", and will print that same string each time I press the key. Frequently it locks up the computer, forcing me to do a power-off reboot, after which it will work normally for a few minutes.

As long as I have "Suspend Macro" activated (disabling the macro function) the keyboard works "normally", although in my eyes in a crippled fashion.

There's a guy on eBay with four AnyKeys for sale, three tested "good", one for parts only. I asked him if he'd end the auction early (no bids yet) and sell me two "good" ones plus the "parts" for about 40% more than his opening bid request. Little does he know I will pay whatever it takes... Just in the half hour I've been without my macros, it's making me crazy!

tanstaafl.

Edit: The eBay guy agreed to my offer. Well, he held out for an extra $20, but I was glad to pay it. I now have coming to me two working and one "parts" AnyKey keyboards, for not much more than twice what they cost when they were new.

Attachments
P1130685-W960.jpg (2199 downloads)
P1130686-W960.jpg (916 downloads)
P1130687-W960.jpg (1765 downloads)

Edited by tanstaafl. (15/07/2011 00:32)
Edit Reason: Followup