Originally Posted By: Shonky
What about AutoHotKey and run the macros on the PC itself.
The "on-the-PC" macro storing programs I have seen have such a clumsy interface as to make them unusable except for very complex macros that will be run many times.

The beauty of the AnyKey is that it is so quick and easy to make a simple macro that even if the macro will only be used three or four times ever and then discarded, it is worth the trouble.

For a silly example, an Excel spreadsheet where I have ten cells in a column and for whatever reason every cell needs to have a comma inserted before the last word in the cell: I would press the "Program Macro" key on the keyboard, press the key in which I wanted to store the macro (by default, my temporary macro key is the "/" key on the number pad), and then type "F2 Ctrl-LeftArrow Comma Enter" and press the "Program Macro" key again to turn off recording. Then, each time I press the "/" key it updates that cell and proceeds to the next. The whole job, including modifying all 10 cells, would take far less time than it took to read this. [Just to be pedantic, I made a spreadsheet and timed how long it took to create the macro and do the job outlined above: 12.2 seconds.]

"In-PC" macro programs are too complex, where you find the macro program, start it up, tell it to start recording, save the keystrokes, tell it to stop recording, then give the macro a filename and save it, exit the macro program. To run the macro, you find the program, start it up, and tell it to find the macro you want to run, execute the macro, finally exit the macro program. Now, it has been a few years since I last looked at macro recorders, maybe they've gotten a lot better since then. But as long as I can keep my AnyKeys working, I think they are a better solution.

tanstaafl.