Originally Posted By: jimhogan
A fair point on your part re: the Samba GPL decision, but they could have worked the problem to a different conclusion, I think, if they desired.

Perhaps, but it would have been hard if Apple already had their planned security lockdowns in mind for OS X back then. The GPLv3 isn't really compatible with signing based systems, due to the inability to replace the shipped binary. I'm not sure if Apple had any input on the conversion to GPLv3, but they did have a person on staff with commit access to Samba. From reading some of the discussions from the Samba folks, they seemed to realize GPLv3 would inherently be incompatible with OS X. Not sure why, but they had assumed Apple would be happy just sticking to maintenance releases of 3.0.

Dan earlier mentioned ZFS, which ended up also dying due to licensing concerns. Oracle just wouldn't come to an agreement Apple was willing to live with on something as critical as the filesystem for their OS. And sadly there is precedent here, with the situation between Veritas and Microsoft coming to a bad end relating to Dynamic Disk technology in Windows 2000.

Originally Posted By: jimhogan
I remember sending an email to an Apple rep asking if they couldn't make an iMac that had an adjustable-height display. I'm not sure but I thought I heard a chuckle.

They do sell a VESA mounting kit for the iMacs, for what it's worth. Not sure when they started though.

WebObjects was a surprise to me, considering how heavily Apple used it. Not really sure about the backstory there, nor am I sure what they replaced it with for their somewhat recent store revamp.