Found a thread about it from 3 days ago using Google. But, when I log in to my Apple account, it says I'm not allowed to read it. Google cached copy produces an error. The search results show a large enough snippet that I know it's the same symptom:

Quote:
rules and signatures did not restore...: Apple Support Communities
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4131722?start=0... - United States3 days ago – I just finished installing 10.8 GM to replace the lousy 10.7.4. There's a problem with Mail: none of my signatures and rules were saved from the ...

Can anyone else open that thread? Unlike many other threads, this one forces a login. I've had that happen before, but I've always been able to read the topic afterwards.

I have a feeling that Mountain Lion will be at least as bug-ridden as Lion was, likely worse. Check this one out:

I thought I'd turn on NOTES in the iCloud preferences to allow syncing. It prompts for a ".me" account and you can't do anything unless you provide one. It indicates one will be created if you type in an address.

OK, I found a limitation - a stupid one, but one nonetheless. So I fire up the notes app and write a small temp note, then close the app.

Launch it again and I get a prompt telling me that I have an unsynced note and whether I'd like to share notes through iCloud. I pick YES and it drops me back into the Notes UI. Nothing looks different.

I click the Notes menu and pick the "accounts item" - it's the "Mail Contacts and Calendars" pref pane, which is most definitely a little confusing next to iCloud because it includes an iCloud item that duplicates the entire iCloud pref pane UI inside a box. Ugh...

Notes is TURNED OFF in here, even though I was asked about it and said yes. So I click to turn it on. And it DOESN'T prompt me for a .me account - it asks if I want to merge notes and I say yes. It then stays ON. If I go back to the iCloud pref pane Nota is also now turned on in there.

But... Quit System Preferences, go back to the Mail... pref pane and Notes is again OFF.

Lame.

Oh, Mail in iCloud pref pane also asks for .me account, but in the other pref pane in the iCloud section it turns on without a fuss. But then can't be turned off. Until you quit and restart System Preferences when it's magically already off.

Super lame.

I worked very closely with people from Apple along the entire development cycle of every OS from 1996 to 2005. Apple has always had an insanely hard time preparing a new OS in 2-3 years. Now they want to do TWO OSes per year. It was evident with Snow Leopard things were on the way downhill, proven as a matter of fact with Lion. Mountain Lion hasn't done anything to change my perception at this point. I've never had these kinds of issues with any Mac OS X release after 2003.

Edited by hybrid8 (28/07/2012 00:53)