Originally Posted By: hybrid8
A proprietary mesh isn't a problem at all if you're using a Z-Wave (or whatever) to WiFi (or ethernet more likely) gateway to interface with your TCP/IP network. I don't think having every light switch on your LAN will be very good in practice. I'd much rather have a single controller able to address all the switches, with only that controller connected directly to the LAN. IMO, that's much more useful and would allow a single server-like app to interface with all the switches. Otherwise for that kind of functionality you'd still have to install such software on a server somewhere, also connected to the LAN.

Excellent point. Sadly the products I've seen that do this are obscenely expensive and look like they have terrible interfaces. I've been waiting for someone to come around to this market segment for years and shake it up, because it would be SO easy to do. I was hoping that Google was going to do it, but ever since that Google IO announcement about automation stuff, I haven't heard word one about it frown

I really need to reiterate how awesome the Z-Wave mesh network is. I have NEVER had signal issues with it, it works every single time, and every single device gets the signal every time. It's pretty amazing stuff. Now I just wish it were easier to set up, and had more control options...