Originally Posted By: andy
They didn't really say much about it. They weren't actually commenting on a story about EI. They were commenting on a quote from Hugo about phones being hard to build, where he was about the Facebook building their own phone.

The only thing they actually said about EI was John C Dvorak with his normal cynical "it has been tried before, it didn't work".

I didn't see any of it as disrespectful, they were just having an odder and crabbier week than normal wink

Hmm, didn't hear about that one. The NYT quote was a bit out of context - the correct context was an answer to a question about "couldn't they just take an HTC phone and modify it a bit", and I was noting that there's very little simple about "modifying a phone a bit". Everything in a phone is dependent on everything else to a very large extent - before you know it you'll be designing a whole new phone.

It's been interesting reading the discussion here; I do think it's *not* actually been tried before - not in this way - and whilst I accept that many large vendors will not try it at first (NIH, we've spent lots on our own solution, we only want things to work with our own products, etc etc), I believe that smaller vendors don't suffer from the same issues and will adopt it because, well, it's actually useful in some contexts and is a cheap way to differentiate products.

Longer term, I believe customers will start demanding the integration from the larger vendors, because it "just works" and is a user-centric service vs a vendor-centric service. Vendor-centric services often tend to deliver no user benefits at all, then the vendor is surprised when they don't catch on.