I've had an imp for a couple of weeks now and I'm still struggling to see the point of it (Sorry Hugo) I've been trying hard to figure out what purpose it actually serves.

The price point serves as a killer, I know as much as the next guy how much technology costs but given that essentially this is a one-imp per "device" system (+ subscription) it's going to get expensive fairly quickly.

My second problem is what use it actually is? Sure, I could have an "imp ready" TV or HiFi that lets me control it from my iPhone - but it's less hassle and less clicks just to use the remote control that came with the tv/hifi (over unlock phone, find app, open wait, wait for app to open). Sure, I could control these devices from outside my home, but again, changing the channel on the TV from 1000 miles away isn't exactly useful.

So, home automation? Sure, this is where you might think there's a possible use, but how is the imp going to work with it? One imp per socket? (Ouch! $$$) Ok, so a gateway, Imp->X10...but why not just forego the imp and go straight to X10 with an IP gateway?

And now I'm left struggling to find any other uses for it integrating it apart from "well, we did it because we could".

I've just been left with the feeling that this is a great toy for electronics hobbyists to add WiFi to a device and not much more.

Please tell me I'm wrong Hugo, maybe I've just skipped past that eureka moment that would lead me onto that killer usage.

I must have really missed something.