I've got this Verizon (CDMA/LTE) Galaxy Nexus, which I got specifically because it would be up-to-date. No boot-locking. Standard Google support. Etc.

Well, we all know how that turned out. Google and Verizon couldn't play nice, and I'm likely to have to wait a long, long time before there's a proper Android 4.1 release for my phone. Screw that! So I'm investigating the world of third-party ROM images, many of which are now available for the CDMA variant of the Galaxy Nexus based on the ROM images that Google released for the GSM/HSPA+ phone.

The canonical web site seems to be Rootzwiki. And, of course, there are a good number of different devs posting things, some of which have gone through quite a number of point releases in the last two weeks.

The comments are full of idiots. The big-name distributions like AOKP and Cyanogenmod only build from Google's AOSP source code, which isn't out yet for Android 4.1, so instead you're dealing with a second tier of support. Despite this, lots of users are reporting success.

I really don't want to waste my time. I also really don't want to have to wipe my phone clean and waste all the time to get everything reinstalled properly, which seems to be standard advice with many of these ROM installers.

Have any of you played with this world yet? Am I better off waiting for AOKP or Cyanogenmod?

For what it's worth, I don't think I want any of the kernel customization stuff that some people have been rolling in. I do want my phone to continue to be rooted.